There is nothing juvenile about children's literature.

Wednesday, February 4, 2009

When the Sergeant Came Marching Home by Don Lemna


In 1947 when his father returns from the war, a ten-year-old boy and his family move from the Montana town where they had been living to an old, run-down farm in the middle of nowhere, where they work hard trying to make ends meet.

This book is a story kind of story. By that I mean that it just tells a nice story about the main character boy, his brother, and their parents and their life together. There wasn't a big plot, no mystery to solve or major adventure. It was just a nice story. 

There was also some great writing. Here are some favorite phrases I enjoyed reading.

"I was anxiety with shoes on."

"...verbally caressing all the wonderful conveniences it contained..."

"After the meal was finished, and Pat and I were thoroughly exhausted from dog paddling in a sticky slough of good manners, we moved into the living room."

Wonderful words! This novel is a quick read with 215 pages.

1 comment:

LBBlum said...

Hello- I have a Book Club Round Up on my website where I try to round up great book reviews- specifically books boys would like.

Would you mind if I linked to your post about this book?

my blog-site is: www.bookclub4boyshome.blogspot.com You can check it out for yourself- or just drop me a line if you don't mind...

LOVE your site! I love reading children's books too!
So nice to meet you!