There is nothing juvenile about children's literature.

Saturday, October 4, 2008

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins


I first found out about this book from Stephenie Meyer's web site. She raved about it, saying that she's told total strangers about it in Target and that she took it out to dinner with her to read it under the table. I guess that got me interested. I went and bought the book and read it.

Yes, I really liked it a lot. Very well written characters and a unique story line. It grabbed me and keep me throughout the entire book.

Here's a little bit of what the jacket covers says.
In the ruins of a place once known as North America lies the nation of Panem, a shining Capitol surrounded by twelve outlying districts. The Capitol is harsh and cruel and keeps the districts in line by forcing them all to send one boy and one girl between the ages of twelve and eighteen to participate in the annual Hunger Games, a fight to the death on live TV.

The book does end by wrapping something major up, but...here's where I was a little sad. I read the last sentence of the book and then it said-
END OF BOOK ONE

What? Oh my gosh. I must read the next one right away, however,
I had no idea it was just released in September. How long must I wait? In a way, I wish the author would have just written a few more chapters and concluded everything nicely. Now I have to wait to find out more.

I loved the book and the characters a lot, so of course I will keep reading, but sometimes I really get sick of series. Some series that have too many books in them end up losing me. I did that with the Maximum Ride books and the Shadow Children series. How about having a limit on a series to just three books? They would be three really great and exciting books and then it would all end there.

2 comments:

a wynn wynn situation said...

I bought it in the airport!! I haven't cracked it yet but I'm so excited to!

Kim M. said...

Lynn says this is a GREAT book too!