
I LOVED THIS BOOK!
I know this book has been a best seller and lots of people enjoy it, but for some reason I just barely got around to reading it. I wasn't too excited to start because I'm not that found of comic/cartoon books. However, this is not really one. It's a fast moving story about a boy's school year life. He takes you through Halloween, Christmas, gym class, girls, friends, etc. The cartoon pictures add so much to it. They are just as funny as the story.
I am wondering if there is something wrong with me. I found this book hilarious. There were several moments when I was laughing (screeching) out loud and a few times when I had tears from laughing so hard. (I hope there's another adult out there who feels the same way so that I don't feel like a complete idiot!)
Greg, the main character, tells about being in reading groups at school. "They don't come right out and tell you if you're in the Gifted group or the Easy group, but you can figure it out right away by looking at the covers of the books they hand out." The cartoon has a picture of two books: Einstein as a Child and Bink Says Boo.
I think this book is great for any person with a good sense of humor. Of course boys would love it, but girls too and even adults. I am enjoying the second book now and can't wait for the third one to come out in January. Thank you Jeff Kinney for making me laugh so much!
Here's a favorite part from the second book.
Greg and his best friend, Rowley, watched a movie about kids that taught themselves a secret language that grown-ups couldn't understand. Greg and Rowley thought it would be cool to do the same. They decided to make up their own secret language. They tried it out at the dinner table with the two boys and Rowley's dad.
Greg's cartoon bubble says, "Your-Pa Dad-Pa Smells-Pa Like-Pa A Woman-Pa!" Then the text says, "But Rowley's dad must have cracked our code, because I ended up getting sent home before dessert. And I haven't been invited to spend the night at Rowley's ever since."


3 comments:
I always love your suggestions. You need to come out with a book full of the best books-- please!!
I haven't read this book myself, but as a substitute teacher, I'll vouch for the fact that it's VERY popular among 4th and 5th graders in my district.
Apparently this is one I'm going to have to check out in 2009!
Also, I'm new to the blogging world, feel free to drop by and check out my blog... http://katiesliteraturelounge.blogspot.com
Just like you I have found reading this a struggle! Lucky for me I found a copy at Wal-Mart and bought it. When I had spare time to read it I loved it! It is very funny and grown-ups would love it too!!! I just loved going with Greg on all of his hilarious journeys! When I finished the series I was sad that me and Greg were through having fun together :(
F.Y.I. You might like to know tat I feel as if characters in stories feel like friends to me. That's why I was sad.
P.S. To any out there who want to see the movie I recommend the book first. I promise it will be worth it!!!!
Post a Comment