He read hundreds of books last year for his assignment as a committee member. I wanted to share part of an article that just came out today. I would link you to it, except it's not online yet. So here's a bit of what he said, as written by Amanda Lewis. When asked what he's looking for, he answered:
"You've got to have a good strong plot on which to hang character development, on which to hang your beautiful language. It's the tree on which you hang the other ornaments. And I think we're not getting that as consistently as we used to." He went on to say, "There's a storytelling tradition-and it's gone back to the beginning of time-that I would argue is fundamental. It's never changed, and I think the crux of a good story will never change."
He has said that while some books were disappointing, he found others that are excellent. Some of his favorites from 2008 include:
Masterpiece by Elise Broach
Climbing the Stairs by Padma Venkatraman
When the Sergeant Came Marching Home by Don Lemna
The Willoughbys by Lois Lowry
Here is a link to a list of children's literature recommendations compiled by Michael Tunnell and James S. Jacobs, another education professor at BYU. Book List


1 comment:
I'll have to check some of those out!
We started reading the Percy Jackson series and it's awesome!
And btw- I've stopped by your house two times with binder in hand... you're a busy woman!
Post a Comment