There is nothing juvenile about children's literature.

Tuesday, January 27, 2009

The Willoughbys by Lois Lowry


This book is an enjoyable thin-quirky-clever novel. Lowry pays playful homage to classic works of literature in this funny "old-fashioned" parody. She does a great job of weaving the characters into each other's lives. 

Take a look inside.

"Dearest?"
"Yes, dearest?"
"Do you like our children?"
"Oh, no," Mrs. Willoughby said, using her gold-plated scissors to snip off a bit of yarn that had made a snarl. "I never have. Especially that tall one. What is his name again?"
A few paragraphs down...

"I have a plan, " Mr. Willoughby said, putting his paper down. He stroked one eyebrow in a satisfied way. "It's thoroughly despicable."
"Lovely," said his wife. "A plan for what?"
"To rid us of the children."
It's really not a book about killing--I promise. It's just a very fun read!

No comments: