There is nothing juvenile about children's literature.

Monday, April 20, 2009

Is there a politically correct way to abandon a book?



Why do I feel guilty when I want to stop reading a book? It's a free country, right? No one is forcing me to read this book. What if I'm just way too bored? What if the content is offensive to me? What if I have to talk myself into picking it up just to get through it? Aren't those valid reasons for abandoning a book? 

Sometimes it's hard to stop because I have invested time into it. Maybe money as well. I might be connected to the characters or interested in the plot. Maybe I was hold #27 at the library and so I just can't give up on a book that I waited so long for. What if it was recommended by someone I respect? What if it's a top seller? What if a neighbor let me borrow it because she loved it so much? Shouldn't I finish it then? Do I tell her that I didn't care for it?

How long do you give a book before you abandon it? There aren't any rules on this, right? I rarely leave a book, but sometimes it's necessary. I give it as long as I can and a little more before I call it quits because it does feel like some kind of waste to me. 

Does anyone have any good advice on this subject?

8 comments:

Casey said...

i rarely ever give up on a book, but one i do remember was "Summerland." I hated it. I hated to put it down and walk away, but it really left me no choice. I'd say I made it halfway through or so. I don't have any advice. I just knew I couldn't do it anymore. If you feel like that, just put it down and walk away!

Debbie Jones said...

As an English teacher, I tell my students I would rather have them abandon a book and get one they will read and LOVE than try to slog through a book that they hate and have a negative reading experience. That being said, I just finished a book that I really did not like, (The Friday Night Knitting Club)but I felt like I had to finish it. Now I just feel like I wasted time I could have been reading something good. Love you blog.

melissa @ 1lbr said...

Hm...good questions. There are only a handful of books I've ever started and not finished (interestingly, they are all big name classics...) But, I usually feel compelled to finish it, if only to find something of worth. That said, just put it away. And try not to let it bother you (like I can take my own advice)!

Kate Coombs said...

Used to be I would never abandon a book, but lately I'm finding I feel like life's too short and there are too many amazing books out there... I figure one chapter should do it, let alone two or three! (True confessions: had to put down Fablehaven, also got extremely irked with Paterson's highly commercial book, Daniel X. Then again, I'm not a Moby Dick fan, either!) Sometimes I'll just skim the rest, or part of it, though. Anyway, it's like when I finally figured out that if I was full or the food was icky, not finishing it truly would not deprive starving children half-way across the world. I cleverly figured out that I had PAID for the food and it was mine to do with as I would. Same goes for your very valuable time and a book. Interesting question!

Deanna H. said...

I love all your comments! I agree, I agree...
Thanks for the advice. I am feeling like I can have more courage and should do this without feeling guilty. Kate, I think you summed it up with your "life's too short" remark. SO TRUE!

Trishelle said...

I have been meaning to comment on this post.

A few years ago, an acquaintance (she was an office worker in the place where I volunteered) gave me a book to read because she just loved the 'delicious love scenes' and wanted to share.

The phrase 'delicious love scenes' horrified me and I knew I couldn't read it.

Since I didn't know her that well and wasn't sure how she would react, I waited a few days then left it on her desk. She didn't say anything which really relieved me.

Britt said...

It takes a lot for me to abandon a book... but I'm starting to do it more readily.

If I'm hating it, then hey, why am I wasting my time? Now okay, if it's for a challenge or if I don't have a specific reason for hating it I might stick with it, but really? So many books, so little time. Why spend it on something I'm not getting anything out of?

Kim M. said...

I just ask you for recommendations or wait for you to tell me you've read a book I'd love. You've never been wrong yet! How lucky am I? I did put down a book about two weeks ago, one someone else recommended that I just couldn't get into. Haven't given it back to her yet though. I once returned a book to the bookstore that had been recommended by a lot of people, but no one mentioned the extremely offensive language in the first three pages! Hello! I showed the bookstore and they took it right back. I would rather read a boring book than one with offensive language. Same for movies. I think it's distracting from a really good story.