There is nothing juvenile about children's literature.

Tuesday, March 3, 2009

The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman


Okay, so there are many great reviews out there about this 2009 Newbery Award Winner. I really didn't read them because I didn't want to know anything about the book or read any spoilers. So this is just my opinion about the book. 

It was slow for me for a bit. The second half started getting more interesting. More adventure. Since it did win the Newbery I was expecting it to wrap up in a more incredible way than it did. I enjoyed the ending, and I even teared up a bit. That helped me to like the book more. Sometimes when books are not my favorite all the way through, but they have an ending I enjoy, then I appreciate them more. (I don't mean any offense to the author and those who love his work.) I'm just one person with my opinion that I share here on my blog.

2 comments:

melissa @ 1lbr said...

I, too, felt a bit "meh" about it at the beginning, but it grew on me.

Janssen said...

I felt EXACTLY the same way - slow at the beginning, touching at the end.

I just added your blog to Google Reader - you've got some great stuff!