There is nothing juvenile about children's literature.

Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Don't you love Shel Silverstein's Poems?


I have fond memories of Shel Silverstein's poems from my 5th and 6th grade years. In my copy of Where the Sidewalk Ends I wrote, "Deanna bought this book with her own money." I can still recite some of his poems I had to memorize back then in school. 

I was visiting his website recently and was reminded of what a creative and fun guy he was. It's a great site and worth the visit. A lot of great resources, including a pdf of the poem Eight Balloons - a book to draw and play with. 

It was 10 years ago this month that he died of a heart attack. 

1 comment:

Janssen said...

Oh, I love this man. My dad always quotes the one about the pancakes. I can't wait to read his poems to my kids someday.