There is nothing juvenile about children's literature.

Sunday, November 9, 2008

City by Numbers by Stephen T. Johnson


 This is the companion volume to Alphabet City. Although City by Numbers was published in 2003, I accidently became familiar with it just the other night. I ran over to my neighbor's house to watch her sleeping kids for a minute while she picked up the babysitter. I found this book on the floor and enjoyed looking at it very much. 

The book is full of paintings that show the numbers from 1 to 21 in city details. I loved trying to hunt for the numbers. The number 2 is made by flakes of peeling paint, and the number 4 is found in the lines of the Manhattan Bridge at sunset. If you look at the cover of the book, what number do you see? I better not give any more hints because if you haven't yet enjoyed this picture book then you need to and you will need to discover the numbers on your own. The numbers are not very hard to find, but they are very interesting when you see them.

When my neighbor returned home, I was still looking at the book and said that she'd have to wait for me to leave until I was finished. (Thanks Christine, for having a great book lying around the house.)

No comments: