There is nothing juvenile about children's literature.

Saturday, November 29, 2008

My "Best of" Christmas Book Awards


While still feeling too full from Thanksgiving I dug out all the Christmas stuff, including our Christmas books. Every year we get out a big basket and put all our Christmas books in it by the tree. Ahhh...Christmas stories by the tree lights. While going through the books I thought about what I like about each story. I decided to give some of them a "Best of" award. So here are my winners.

Best party planners: Snowmen at Night by Caralyn Buehner

Best way to entertain a hyper critter: If You Take a Mouse to the Movies by Laura Numeroff

Best non-materialistic Christmas: Christmas in the Big Woods by Laura Ingalls Wilder

Best use of holographic foils: The Christmas Star by Marcus Pfister

Best athlete: The Gingerbread Baby by Jan Brett

Best change of heart: How the Grinch Stole Christmas by Dr. Seuss

Best place to visit by train: The Polar Express by Chris Van Allsburg

Best performance by juvenile delinquents: The Best Christmas Pageant Ever by Barbara Robinson

Best wood carver: The Christmas Miracle of Jonathan Toomey by Susan Wojciechowski

Best secret life by a relative: Auntie Claus by Elise Primavera

Best angel tree top: The Year of the Perfect Christmas Tree by Gloria Houston

Best visit to the museum: The Dinosaurs' Night Before Christmas by Anne Muecke

Try and give your own books some awards. Perhaps yours would even be different than mine for the same book. This would be a fun activity for students as well. 

I could have gone on and on with giving my books awards, but I had to stop myself. (Time to switch the wash and feed my family.)



2 comments:

Corey Schwartz said...

Best way of demonstrating that a Daddy is NOT a Mommy- Knuffle Bunny :)

Deanna H. said...

Oh I love that one Corey! How true.