There is nothing juvenile about children's literature.

Monday, November 3, 2008

Palace of Mirrors by Margaret Peterson Haddix



Cecilia knows that she is not just another peasant girl; she is actually the true princess, in hiding until the evil forces that killed her parents are vanquished. A commoner named Desmia is on the throne as a decoy.

As she gets older, Cecilia finds it harder to study statesmanship and palace protocol secretly at night and then pretend that she has nothing on her mind other than scrubbing the gruel stains out of her best apron by day.

Cecilia knows that it is time to take charge. Along with her best friend, Harper, she flees to the capital city, determined to reclaim her throne and face the danger head on.

When Harper and Cecilia reach the famed Palace of Mirrors, they discover complications: Princess Desmia believes an entirely different version of the story.

I enjoyed reading Palace of Mirrors, but it wasn't my favorite by the author. It does bring back the character Ella Brown from Just Ella. However, she's not a main character in the book. I felt it was more of a fast moving, simplistic story with some predictability. Of course, there was some adventure and a touch of romance. Always a great combination for a good story.

My very favorite book by Margaret Peterson Haddix is Running Out of Time. I also really enjoyed her historical fiction book, Uprising, about the Triangle Shirt Factory fire. I did get very attached to her Shadow Children Series. I loved the first book, Among the Hidden. It was nice to see boys really get into those books as well as girls. 


6 comments:

Janssen said...

I've only read one thing by Haddix, and I didn't really love it, but I'm determined to give her another chance because I hear nothing but RAVES about her.

a wynn wynn situation said...

I'll have to check this out.
I'm trying to find fun chapter books to read with the girls. I picked up Ella Enchanted hoping that might work.

Deanna H. said...

janssen, I'm curious what you read from her that you didn't like. I read her first book in her new Missing Series called Found and I did not like it at all.

I find it a bit frustrating when there is an author I really like and I enjoy a lot of their books and then I'm so surprised when they publish something that I don't like. And sometimes they write a few books that I'm not interested in at all.

Anonymous said...

I really like Haddix, there are 2 books of hers (of course I can't remember the title) that some people might like I wonder if it was them. One was about cloning.

I loved the Shadow Children series. One of my brothers whose is not a big reader really, really, really liked them

Anonymous said...

I meant to say might not like.

RM1(SS) (ret) said...

I've told our local public library that they need to buy this one. 8)

Running out of Time is also my favourite Haddix book, followed by The House on the Gulf.