There is nothing juvenile about children's literature.

Saturday, November 29, 2008

Louder, Lili by Gennifer Choldenko


This picture book is about a very shy girl, Lili, who doesn't say much at all. When she does, she is hardly ever heard. She never speaks up for herself at school, so she misses out on a lot. She is partnered up with a very aggressive girl, Cassidy. Finally, something Cassidy does makes Lili finally speak up. In fact, she yells and everyone hears her. "Even the glue in the bottle stood still."

Lili's opportunity to speak out came when the teacher was absent and a sub was there. I found the sub amusing. (She was out in the hall on her cell phone instead of watching the students.)

I love that in this book you can see that kids, like adults, sometimes get to their breaking point, that final straw when it's time to let loose what you've been holding back. I think that can be very healthy-to stand up for yourself-as long as it's not something violent or naughty (illegal) that you do.

This would be a great book for any shy child.

No comments: